Course Title: Satellite Communications Technologies
Course Description: This course provides a comprehensive exploration of satellite communications technologies, covering the principles, design, and applications of satellite systems. Students will gain a deep understanding of the key components involved in satellite communication, including orbital mechanics, link budget analysis, modulation techniques, and emerging technologies. The course will also delve into the practical aspects of satellite system design, implementation, and management.
- Basic understanding of telecommunications
- Familiarity with basic physics and mathematics
- Proficiency in digital communication concepts
- Understand the fundamental principles of satellite communications.
- Explore different satellite orbits and their implications on system design.
- Analyze link budgets to determine communication system performance.
- Learn various modulation and coding techniques used in satellite communications.
- Examine the design and operation of satellite ground stations.
- Investigate emerging technologies in satellite communications.
- Develop skills in satellite system planning, implementation, and management.
- Explore real-world applications of satellite communications in different industries.
Textbook: “Satellite Communications” by Dennis Roddy
- Quizzes and Homework: 30%
- Midterm Exam: 20%
- Final Exam: 30%
- Project: 15%
- Class Participation: 5%
Week 1-2: Introduction to Satellite Communications
- Historical overview
- Basic satellite communication concepts
- Satellite communication system architecture
Week 3-4: Orbital Mechanics and Satellite Orbits
- Keplerian laws
- Types of satellite orbits
- Launch vehicles and space environment
Week 5-6: Link Budget Analysis
- Signal path and link components
- System noise and link margin
- Antenna systems and propagation
Week 7-8: Modulation and Coding Techniques
- Analog and digital modulation
- Error detection and correction
- Spread spectrum and coding
Week 9-10: Satellite Ground Stations
- Earth station design and components
- Up-link and down-link considerations
- Satellite control and monitoring
Week 11-12: Emerging Technologies
- High Throughput Satellites (HTS)
- Software-Defined Satellites
- Small Satellite Systems (CubeSats)
Week 13-14: Satellite System Implementation and Management
- System planning and design
- Frequency coordination and licensing
- Maintenance and troubleshooting
Week 15: Final Project Presentations and Review
Note: This syllabus is subject to change at the discretion of the instructor.